7 Best Earplugs for Sleeping
If you have been struggling to get a good night’s sleep because of a noisy room mate or are troubled by street noise or loud insects, earplugs can prove to be effective way to reduce noise level and help sleep comfortably.
However, when you plan to buy an earplug you might get overwhelmed by the choices and types available. It is no longer as easy as just checking the noise reduction rating and deciding on what to but.
Don’t fret! Take a look at the best earplugs in the market to help you make a decision you won’t regret later.
There are a number of different factors that you need to keep in mind before purchasing earplugs. Take a look at the most important features and match them against your requirements –
- Noise Reduction Ratings (NRR) are the scores approved by the American National Standards Institute and are mandatory requisite for every earplug out in the market.
- Measured in decibels, they help determine the effectiveness of the earplug by telling you the average sound reduced provided by it. The higher the NRR, the higher the level of protection against noise.
- Dimension to find the right size for your ear canal. It should fit you correctly to provide maximum comfort and form an airtight seal to block off noise as much as possible. You should be able to wear it all night long, especially in your sleeping position without popping out in the middle of the night.
- Material used like foam, silicone or wax. While foam earplugs are more popular and effective, the wax and silicone are multi-purpose, hypo-allergic and can be used while swimming or airplane too.
- Type of noise whether snoring, power tools, music concert or just some TV noise in the next room.
- Durability to ensure reusability and retain shape and effectiveness over multiple use.
Earplugs made out of foam and wax are most effective as they are comfortable and seal most of the noise away.
Top 7 Earplugs in 2017 –
1. HEAROS Xtreme Protection, 14-Pair Foam
This is truly the best noise cancelling earplugs out there providing best performance, optimal noise reduction with comfort. HEAROS is one of the most trusted companies, manufacturing quality ear plugs for over 20 years in USA. The Xtreme Protection earplugs are rated highest available NRR possible intended to block loudest sounds. They are not only great for sleeping but also excellent for construction workers, concerts and military to name a few. They are comfortable, easy to wear and fit all wearers perfectly.
- Material – HEAROS proprietary PolyUrethane (PU) foam
- NRR – 33 decibels
- Price – $4.74 for a pack of 14 pair
- Made from closed cell-foam, latex free, is comfortable, soft and inhibits dirt.
- Foam expands and fits widest range of canal sizes perfectly.
- Tapered design makes insertion and removal effortless
- Comfortable to wear all night long with soft skin
- Foam is hypo-allergic to ensure safety for sensitive ears.
2. Flents Quiet Please Foam Ear Plugs
Flents Quite Please ear plugs might not have the highest noise reduction ratings, but they are super comfortable, fit well and effective at reducing noise to a level where you can easily zone out.
These are great for use beyond sleeping and can be used for general purpose like loud car race or home renovation projects. Like any foam based ear plug, they expand and fit all ear canals and are easy and comfortable to wear.
With noise reduction rating of 29, they are great if you want to sleep well yet want to be able to hear the alarm clock in the, which allows to reduce the noise but not completely block it.
- Material – Foam based
- NRR – 29 decibels
- Price – $12. 95 for a pack of 50 pairs
- Comfortable to wear all night long
- Foam ensures it fits well without coming off in any sleep position
- Bonus clear case for daily use
- Easy to wear and remove
3. Mack’s Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
Considered one of the most comfortable earplugs in the market, they block most noise and work great for side sleepers without popping out.
They provide reasonably high noise reduction level and work great for sleeping as well as outside like around power tools or music concert.
Material – Low-pressure foam provides best fit and comfort
- NRR – 32 decibels
- Price – $8.54 for a pack of 50 pairs
- Beige color makes it virtually invisible
- Tapered design ensured comfort and ease of use
- Low-pressure foam provides best fit
4. Howard Leight by Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs
These bright colored earplugs have been very well rated on Amazon.com as it provides amazing noise blocking and the self-adjusting foam offers perfect fit for most ear canals. These are effective and quite comfortable to wear with their small size and special design. The bright color ensures easy compliance check and will not be easily lost.
- Material – Foam
- NRR – 32 decibels
- Price – $18.14 for a pack of 200 pairs
- Good for loud noise
- Easy to insert and remove with the contoured T-shape
- Self-adjusting foam provides perfect fit for all ear canals
- Soil-resistant skin inhibits dirt-build up
5. Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs
These are considered to be America’s best selling moldable silicone earplugs. Silicone earplugs are effective in blocking noise as they have a feature called the memory factor that helps it to fit the ear canal completely and comfortably. They are re-usable, dishwasher safe and easy to use.
- Material – moldable silicone
- NRR – 22 decibels
- Dimensions – 3.9 x 1 x 5.3 inches; 1.6 ounces
- Price – $3.76 for a pack of 6 pairs might sound a little expensive but they are re-usable and provide good value for money
- Easily molds into the shape of your ear
- Works great for blocking snoring noise as well as blocking water while swimming or regulating pressure while flying.
- Re-usable till they lose sticking or become dirty
- Comfortable to use
6. Moldex 6800 Pura-Fit Soft-Foam Earplugs
The Moldex earplugs are one of the highest rated noise reduction earplugs. Available in vibrant green color, they block most noise and are effective, whether you have a loud snoring partner or a neighbor playing rock music or high-pitched appliances at work. A little longer foam design allows it to fit virtually all ears and easy to remove and take out.
- Material – PVC-free foam with soft surface for maximum comfort
- NRR – 33 decibels
- Price – $26 .01 for a pack of 200 pairs
- Made in USA keeping in mind the highest standards
- Tapered design ensures easy insertion in all ear canals
- Bright green color for high visibility
- Soft foam provides are smooth and comfortable for longer duration wearing
7. Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs 12 plugs
Made out of wax and cotton, these classic ear plugs are great at reducing noise and unwanted sounds. They work great beyond bedrooms, like in discos, airplane, swimming pool or around electric tools. Wax formulations have been around since ages and work great even if you have sensitive ears and easily fit all canals. The wax, once inside the ear, heats up due to body’s temperature and seals it preventing noise, water and wind. They are quite comfortable but cannot be re-used. You need to read instructions carefully before using them.
- Material – Soft wax compound, covered with cotton
- NRR – approx. 27 decibels
- Price – $6 for 12 plugs
- Comfortable without any pressure sensation in the ear
- Prevents not only noise but also wind and water making it great to use outdoors as well.
- Does not block all noise but reduce to a level that makes sleep comfortable
- Slightly expensive in comparison to its foam counterpart.
No earplug can completely block out the noise, especially if you are dealing with very loud noise or extreme snoring. However, these small devices make noise tolerable and ensure good night’s sleep while protecting your ears. Get yourself a good pair of earplugs and cut back on lot of agony and sleepless nights.