7 Best Abdominal Binder After C-section
More and more women are choosing an abdominal binder to recover faster after a c-section birth. Doctors too are recommending abdominal binders for its numerous benefits in supporting the postpartum abdomen and getting back in shape.
Take a quick look at the benefits of wearing this elastic like band around your abdomen.
- Improves confidence while you fit in your clothes better and look fitter.
- Helps straighten your back and improve posture.
- Offers compression that helps in reducing swelling
- Helps the abdomen to return in original shape, reduce flab and increase the firmness of skin that has lost its tightness after pregnancy weight loss
- Also believed to reduce the risk of stretch marks
- Increases the rate of weight loss
- Provides more support to assist in breastfeeding
- Helps reduces pain, soreness and muscle
- Compression aids in healing of scar and reducing the risk of its tear.
- Help close the diastasis recti gap.
No idea what a postpartum girdle does or how to choose one? Read on for more information below!
What Are The Best Postpartum Girdle and Which One Is Right For Me?
Wearing a postpartum girdle is essential to a quick and speedy recovery, but it does even more for those who are recovering from a C-section. C-section moms face different challenges than those who have given birth naturally. The C-section incision can be painful, itchy and irritating and can also form an unflattering “bulge”. This is where postpartum girdles come in.
Choosing the best postpartum girdle depends on what your exact needs are. Just like every pregnancy is different, so is every recovery. Some basic things that you should look for in a postpartum girdle are comfort, durability, wearability (under clothing), durability and effectiveness.
When it comes to comfort, you need to ask yourself which type of girdle would be the most comfortable for you and your daily activities. Girdles come in a variety of styles and fabrics, such as:
- corset style or pull-up style
- latex, nylon or cotton fabrics
Figuring out which style and fabric will be the most comfortable for you is key is finding the right postpartum girdle.
Some other questions to ask yourself when purchasing a postpartum girdle:
- How durable is this girdle’s material? Will it last as long as I need it to?
- Will I be able to wear this girdle under clothing without anyone knowing?
- Is it easy to put on and take off?
- Does the girdle move, roll or slip down during daily activities?
- Does this girdle actually do all that it says it does?
- Will this girdle protect my C-section incision?
- Will it provide back support?
The questions that you should ask yourself fully depend on what you are looking to get out of your girdle. Some women simply want a postpartum girdle that will trim their bellies and waist while others are looking for more of a supportive girdle that offers support to several areas of the body.
Belly binding can be done using belly bands, maternity belts or traditional cloth wrap. There are tons of different products varying in style, shape, fastenings and efficiency available today.
The most important things to consider before buying these binders are your requirements, efficiency, comfort to be able to wear all day long, invisibility under clothes, durability and price.
Best Abdominal Binder After C-section
Take a look at some of the most popular binder after c-section, ranked according to the customer reviews on retail sites including amazon.com-
1. Gabrialla Breathable Elastic Abdominal Binder For Women
The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is part of a line of what is considered to be some of the best post partum girdles on the market. For over 20 years the Gabrialla has been highly recommended by doctors for its abdominal and lower back support to prevent and reduce pain.
In fact, the The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is a winner of multiple “Top Choice” and “Family Choice” national awards – separating this post partum girdle from the rest.
The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is made up of 50% polyester, 20% cotton, 18% nylon and 10% lycra for ultimate comfort and stretch.
Designed and made in the USA, the Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is highly recommended by doctors for both post-partum and post-surgery patients as a support.
Even used as a body shaping girdle, the Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder can also help new moms to return quickly to their pre-baby shape sooner.
Though the Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder has received several awards, there are still a few negatives to this postpartum girdle.
The first negative is that the Velcro in the band causes a bulge that can be seen under clothing.
For women who wear loose or baggy clothing this shouldn’t be an issue, but the Velcro can easily be seen under a more fitted shirt. Another note about the Velcro is that it can cause chaffing or irritate the skin if not put on properly.
The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder received a 3.3 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 487 comments and reviews.
- Effective band that is highly recommended by doctors as a support binder. Winner of numerous “Top Choice” and “Family Choice” national awards.
- Helps in shaping and recovering sooner.
- Latex-free, breathable and comfortable binder that can easily be worn all day long without overheating.
- Adjustable band accommodates the growing belly through the pregnancy
- Provides gentle pressure to heal the c-section incision without causing any discomfort or infection.
- Visible under the clothes with the Velcro that slightly bulges up from the sides
- Most reviewers have said that it runs a size bigger. So measure yourself up and order keeping that in mind.
- It does not flatter your natural curves. So if you are not worried about being stylish but healthy, this is an ideal choice.
2. The Squeem!
The Squeem Perfect Waist Firm Compression Waist Cincher is not made specifically for women in post-partum, however the girdle is so versatile that it can be used by almost anyone.
Discreet enough to be worn under almost any clothing, the Perfect Waist Cincher slims the waistline while moderately lifting breasts, creating natural curves for all body types.
The Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher smooths and elongates the stomach while also helping to improve posture and provide back support.
Made with the Squeem’s Intelligent Fabric technology, this girdle molds your curves using a triple-filtered cotton lining for comfort and support.
The rubber exterior helps the girdle to adapt and fit every size and shape while the internal boning provides additional spot control for all over compression. Due to this technology, the Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher gives the appearance of lost inches from your waistline while also providing support.
The primary complaint about the Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher seems to be the inability to increase compression as you lose weight and return to your pre-baby body. Customers have also commented on the Squeem’s ability to be hidden under clothing. It seems that some don’t find it to be as seamless as the brand says.
The Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher received a 3.9 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 4,368 comments and reviews.
- Made with 100% natural rubber it perfectly fits your curves
- Does not roll up or down as the vest design is meant to hold its position.
- It starts under the breast allowing you to wear your nursing bra
- Helps improve the posture and effective compression improves shape faster.
- Comfortable enough to be worn all day and seamless under clothes.
- Reduced compression as you lose a few inches over a period of time postpartum.
3. Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset C-Section Recovery
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset was created for women who have delivered a baby via C-section and has been shown in studies to help women resume their daily activities after giving birth.
One of the most popular and best-selling postpartum girdles on the market, the Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset is a medical grade girdle that will effectively compress stretched abdominal muscles.
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset has two rows of hook and eye closures in the front of the corset that are an inch apart so that you can tighten the girdle to provide additional compression and support as your progress during your recovery.
These hook and eye closures are designed with C-section incisions in mind so that there is no discomfort, however this girdle is excellent for any women in postpartum recover.
Tested and approved by doctors at an international level, the Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset is a medical quality girdle that help the uterus go back to its place while also providing back support and compression to the abdominals muscles.
Though the Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset is a popular postpartum girdle, it is not perfect for everyone. Many reviewers have complained about the saddle between the legs where the snaps are being uncomfortable and causing chaffing.
If this sounds like something that will bother you, it is best to look for an alternative postpartum girdle.
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset received a 3.7 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 836 comments and reviews.
- Medical –grade, premium-quality, doctor recommended corset
- Effectively tightens and supports the belly post c-section birth and promotes speedy recovery.
- The great design is seamless under the clothes. It does not slip, roll down or bundle up.
- Comfortable and breathable, even works for the most sensitive skin.
- The snap crotch makes it easier to use the restroom frequently.
- The saddle between the legs can sometimes cause chaffing and discomfort in the inner thigh.
- Not affordable for everyone.
- Need to be careful with the sizing of the belt.
4. C-Section Recovery Belly Binder By Wink
The Wink Compression Girdle is only one option in a line of Wink girdle options. With entire lines dedicated to postpartum, Diastasis Recti recovery and abdominal surgery recovery, Wink offers a postpartum girdle for everyone.
The Wink Compression Girdle is nearly undetectable under clothing, with two layers of soft medical compression material that provides support and compression during the first eight weeks of postpartum recovery.
After recovery, continue to use the Wink Compression Girdle as a shape wear garment that will help to slim the midsection, smooth love handles and any back fat rolls. This girdle specializes in hiding any lax skin and baby pooch that may occur following a delivery or C-section.
The Wink Compression Girdle features a pull on style for comfort, a thick band at the top of the girdle to prevent rolling and bunching and a high level of compression for the most support postpartum. Though this girdle is on the higher end when it comes to cost, reviewers and customers seem to really love it.
One negative point about the Wink Compression Girdle is that it can be tricky to find the right size. Most complaints by reviewers had to do with the girdle running small or not fitting correctly.
The Wink Compression Girdle received a 4.2 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 154 comments and reviews.
- Medical grade material with double layers, provides great compression and support.
- Designed with multiple layers of hook and eye closure at the side and crotch, providing greater adjustment capability and convenience.
- Easily accommodates different sizes as the belly slowly get back in pre-pregnancy shape.
- Slightly expensive
- Sizing runs small so need to it can be a little tricky to find the right fit.
5. Tirain 3 In 1 Postpartum Support – Recovery Belly/waist/pelvis Belt Shapewear Waist Belts
The Tirain 3 in 1 Postpartum Support Recovery Belt is a very affordable postpartum girdle.
Comprised of three separate belts, the Tirain 3 in 1 Postpartum Support Recovery Belt covers the hips, belly and waist. Great for reducing back pain as well as any abdominal pain, this girdle is made of soft yet sturdy material that won’t roll down or bunch throughout the day.
Unlike other girdles, the Tirain 3 in 1 Postpartum Support Recovery Belt comes with three separate belts that allow you to control the amount of compression as well as the areas that you are targeting.
Each recovery belt is meant for a specific body area as well as for a certain time in your postpartum recovery.
One to seven days after birth, use the Stomach belt to compress the stomach and readjust internal organs.
One to six weeks after birth use both the Stomach belt and the Waist belt to protect a C-section incision and provide support for the stomach and lower back.
Seven weeks after birth and beyond add the Pelvis belt to help heal and readjust the pelvis.
These belts can be worn all at once or separately depending on what you are looking to accomplish.
The one downside to the Tirain 3 in 1 Postpartum Support Recovery Belt is that it only comes in a one size fits all size. The company claims that this belt will fit up to a US size 12, so those who need a bigger size should look for a different postpartum girdle.
Tirain 3 in 1 Postpartum Support Recovery Belt received a 4.1 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 542 comments and reviews.
- Support belt style binder is designed with 3 belts for belly, waist and pelvic areas.
- Good compression and support for speedy recovery.
- Breathable and lightweight material makes it very comfortable
- Its great design prevents rolling up and can be easily adjusted according to your needs.
- Promotes healthy posture postpartum and during breastfeeding.
- Comes in a single size that fits upto US size 12.
6. UpSpring Baby C-Panty High Waist Incision Care C-Section Panty
The C-Panty was designed specifically for C-section moms by a C-section mom herself. Recommended by OB/GYNs, the C-Panty allows you to recover from giving birth in comfort. Made specifically for C-section moms, the C-panty provides just the right level of compression to help the body return to its pre-pregnancy shape while also protecting the C-section incision.
The C-panty has a medical-grade silicone panel which aids in minimizing scaring, reducing itchiness and protects the incision area while it heals. This allows for new moms to skip the hassle of scar gels – just pull on the C-panty and go! C-panty also helps to reduce swelling and banishes the incision bulge while supporting any weak muscles.
Why is the C-panty different from other girdles? The C-panty specifically targets the C-section incision with compression and silicone. The compression helps any swelling and the silicone provides medical grade scar therapy that many other girdles don’t offer.
While the C-panty is a fantastic option for those recovering from a C-section, there are some areas in which it lacks. The first is that due to the C-panty being pull on style underwear, there is no making the C-panty tighter. This means that as you progress through your recovery, you cannot cinch the C-panty tighter as you lose weight. The C-panty also doesn’t offer as much abdominal support as other postpartum girdles, so it won’t give the appearance of a trim waist like other girdles on this list.
The C-panty received a 4.0 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 591 comments and reviews.
- The pull on style abdominal binder is designed specifically keeping in mind healing after c-section and recommended by OB/GYN.
- Medical-grade compression provides slimming effect and reduces the c-section bulge.
- Supports abdominal binding
- Silicon compression panel interior improves the healing over incision site and greatly helps scar reduction.
- Very comfortable unlike other girdles and band style binders.
- Seamless design does not bulk up and free from latex, bands and Velcro that can sometimes cause discomfort.
- Cannot adjust as you go down size.
- Does not provide a firm support to tighten your abdomen like a belly band or girdle.
7. Trendyline Women Postpartum Girdle Corset Recovery Belly Band Wrap Belt
The Trendyline Women Postpartum Girdle Corset Recovery Belly Band Wrap Belt is an easy to wear girdle made from stretchable and breathable material. Easy to wear and incredibly comfortable, the Trendyline Women Postpartum Girdle Corset Recovery Belly Band Wrap Belt helps tighten and flatten your belly postpartum while helping to recover the pelvic region.
One of the cheaper postpartum girdle options on the market, the Trendyline Postpartum Girdle helps to support the lower back while reducing pain and also aids in protecting the C-section incision.
Though this postpartum girdle is described as being discreet under clothing, reviewers have mentioned that the bulk of this girdle makes it difficult to hide under most clothing. The Velcro straps that this girdle uses can also be bothersome to some people. The lack of medical grade material also puts the Trendyline Women Postpartum Girdle Corset Recovery Belly Band Wrap Belt lower on our list.
The Trendyline Women Postpartum Girdle Corset Recovery Belly Band Wrap Belt received a 3.9 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com and it has 272 comments and reviews.
- Provides firmness and helps you lose inches around your belly.
- Supports the back and helps improve posture.
- Available in different sizes to find the right fit for you.
- Made from lightweight, breathable and mostly polyester material that stretches and is very comfortable.
- Can be easily taken on an off.
- Very reasonably priced.
- Runs small, so finding the right size can be a little tricky.
- Not medical-grade.
Delivering a baby is a beautiful process, however giving birth via C-section can lead to a longer recovery road for some mothers. This is where postpartum girdles come in!
Postpartum girdles not only help to re-shape and tighten your body, they also offer support as well as protection for your C-section incision. Often doctor recommended, there is a postpartum girdle for every woman’s recovery process.
These binders can be great support as you get back in your pre-pregnancy shape. Pairing it with healthy lifestyle and exercise routine can improve its benefits and speed of recovery.
Though we believe that we have picked the seven best postpartum girdles for C-sections, there are many other postpartum girdles available. Be sure to ask yourself the questions in this article in regards to figuring out which girdle is the right choice for you.