More and more women are choosing an abdominal binder to recover faster after a c-section birth. Doctors too are recommending abdominal binders for its numerous benefits in supporting the postpartum abdomen and getting back in shape.
Take a quick look at the benefits of wearing this elastic like band around your abdomen.
- Improves confidence while you fit in your clothes better and look fitter.
- Helps straighten your back and improve posture.
- Offers compression that helps in reducing swelling
- Helps the abdomen to return in original shape, reduce flab and increase the firmness of skin that has lost its tightness after pregnancy weight loss
- Also believed to reduce the risk of stretch marks
- Increases the rate of weight loss
- Provides more support to assist in breastfeeding
- Helps reduces pain, soreness and muscle
- Compression aids in healing of scar and reducing the risk of its tear.
- Help close the diastasis recti gap.
No idea what a postpartum girdle does or how to choose one? Read on for more information below!
What Are The Best Postpartum Girdle and Which One Is Right For Me?
Wearing a postpartum girdle is essential to a quick and speedy recovery, but it does even more for those who are recovering from a C-section. C-section moms face different challenges than those who have given birth naturally. The C-section incision can be painful, itchy and irritating and can also form an unflattering “bulge”. This is where postpartum girdles come in.
Choosing the best postpartum girdle depends on what your exact needs are. Just like every pregnancy is different, so is every recovery. Some basic things that you should look for in a postpartum girdle are comfort, durability, wearability (under clothing), durability and effectiveness.
When it comes to comfort, you need to ask yourself which type of girdle would be the most comfortable for you and your daily activities. Girdles come in a variety of styles and fabrics, such as:
- corset style or pull-up style
- latex, nylon or cotton fabrics
Figuring out which style and fabric will be the most comfortable for you is key is finding the right postpartum girdle.
Some other questions to ask yourself when purchasing a postpartum girdle:
- How durable is this girdle’s material? Will it last as long as I need it to?
- Will I be able to wear this girdle under clothing without anyone knowing?
- Is it easy to put on and take off?
- Does the girdle move, roll or slip down during daily activities?
- Does this girdle actually do all that it says it does?
- Will this girdle protect my C-section incision?
- Will it provide back support?
The questions that you should ask yourself fully depend on what you are looking to get out of your girdle. Some women simply want a postpartum girdle that will trim their bellies and waist while others are looking for more of a supportive girdle that offers support to several areas of the body.
Belly binding can be done using belly bands, maternity belts or traditional cloth wrap. There are tons of different products varying in style, shape, fastenings and efficiency available today.
The most important things to consider before buying these binders are your requirements, efficiency, comfort to be able to wear all day long, invisibility under clothes, durability and price.
Best Abdominal Binder After C section
Take a look at some of the most popular binder after c section, ranked according to the customer reviews on retail sites including amazon.com-
The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is part of a line of what is considered to be some of the best post partum girdles on the market. For over 20 years the Gabrialla has been highly recommended by doctors for its abdominal and lower back support to prevent and reduce pain.
In fact, the The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is a winner of multiple “Top Choice” and “Family Choice” national awards – separating this post partum girdle from the rest.
The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is made up of 50% polyester, 20% cotton, 18% nylon and 10% lycra for ultimate comfort and stretch.
Designed and made in the USA, the Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder is highly recommended by doctors for both post-partum and post-surgery patients as a support.
Even used as a body shaping girdle, the Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder can also help new moms to return quickly to their pre-baby shape sooner.
Though the Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder has received several awards, there are still a few negatives to this postpartum girdle.
The first negative is that the Velcro in the band causes a bulge that can be seen under clothing.
For women who wear loose or baggy clothing this shouldn’t be an issue, but the Velcro can easily be seen under a more fitted shirt. Another note about the Velcro is that it can cause chaffing or irritate the skin if not put on properly.
The Gabrialla Breathable Abdominal Support Binder received a 3.3 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 487 comments and reviews.
- Effective band that is highly recommended by doctors as a support binder. Winner of numerous “Top Choice” and “Family Choice” national awards.
- Helps in shaping and recovering sooner.
- Latex-free, breathable and comfortable binder that can easily be worn all day long without overheating.
- Adjustable band accommodates the growing belly through the pregnancy
- Provides gentle pressure to heal the c-section incision without causing any discomfort or infection.
- Visible under the clothes with the Velcro that slightly bulges up from the sides
- Most reviewers have said that it runs a size bigger. So measure yourself up and order keeping that in mind.
- It does not flatter your natural curves. So if you are not worried about being stylish but healthy, this is an ideal choice.
2. The Squeem!
The Squeem Perfect Waist Firm Compression Waist Cincher is not made specifically for women in post-partum, however the girdle is so versatile that it can be used by almost anyone.
Discreet enough to be worn under almost any clothing, the Perfect Waist Cincher slims the waistline while moderately lifting breasts, creating natural curves for all body types.
The Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher smooths and elongates the stomach while also helping to improve posture and provide back support.
Made with the Squeem’s Intelligent Fabric technology, this girdle molds your curves using a triple-filtered cotton lining for comfort and support.
The rubber exterior helps the girdle to adapt and fit every size and shape while the internal boning provides additional spot control for all over compression. Due to this technology, the Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher gives the appearance of lost inches from your waistline while also providing support.
The primary complaint about the Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher seems to be the inability to increase compression as you lose weight and return to your pre-baby body. Customers have also commented on the Squeem’s ability to be hidden under clothing. It seems that some don’t find it to be as seamless as the brand says.
The Squeem Perfect Waist Cincher received a 3.9 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 4,368 comments and reviews.
- Made with 100% natural rubber it perfectly fits your curves
- Does not roll up or down as the vest design is meant to hold its position.
- It starts under the breast allowing you to wear your nursing bra
- Helps improve the posture and effective compression improves shape faster.
- Comfortable enough to be worn all day and seamless under clothes.
- Reduced compression as you lose a few inches over a period of time postpartum.
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset was created for women who have delivered a baby via C-section and has been shown in studies to help women resume their daily activities after giving birth.
One of the most popular and best-selling postpartum girdles on the market, the Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset is a medical grade girdle that will effectively compress stretched abdominal muscles.
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset has two rows of hook and eye closures in the front of the corset that are an inch apart so that you can tighten the girdle to provide additional compression and support as your progress during your recovery.
These hook and eye closures are designed with C-section incisions in mind so that there is no discomfort, however this girdle is excellent for any women in postpartum recover.
Tested and approved by doctors at an international level, the Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset is a medical quality girdle that help the uterus go back to its place while also providing back support and compression to the abdominals muscles.
Though the Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset is a popular postpartum girdle, it is not perfect for everyone. Many reviewers have complained about the saddle between the legs where the snaps are being uncomfortable and causing chaffing.
If this sounds like something that will bother you, it is best to look for an alternative postpartum girdle.
The Bellefit Postpartum Girdle Corset received a 3.7 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 836 comments and reviews.
- Medical –grade, premium-quality, doctor recommended corset
- Effectively tightens and supports the belly post c-section birth and promotes speedy recovery.
- The great design is seamless under the clothes. It does not slip, roll down or bundle up.
- Comfortable and breathable, even works for the most sensitive skin.
- The snap crotch makes it easier to use the restroom frequently.
- The saddle between the legs can sometimes cause chaffing and discomfort in the inner thigh.
- Not affordable for everyone.
- Need to be careful with the sizing of the belt.
4. C-Section Recovery – Best Belly Binder For c section By Wink
The Wink Compression Girdle is only one option in a line of Wink girdle options.
With entire lines dedicated to postpartum, Diastasis Recti recovery and abdominal surgery recovery, Wink offers a postpartum girdle for everyone.
The Wink Compression Girdle is nearly undetectable under clothing, with two layers of soft medical compression material that provides support and compression during the first eight weeks of postpartum recovery.
After recovery, continue to use the Wink Compression Girdle as a shape wear garment that will help to slim the midsection, smooth love handles and any back fat rolls. This girdle specializes in hiding any lax skin and baby pooch that may occur following a delivery or C-section.
The Wink Compression Girdle features a pull on style for comfort, a thick band at the top of the girdle to prevent rolling and bunching and a high level of compression for the most support postpartum. Though this girdle is on the higher end when it comes to cost, reviewers and customers seem to really love it.
One negative point about the Wink Compression Girdle is that it can be tricky to find the right size. Most complaints by reviewers had to do with the girdle running small or not fitting correctly.
The Wink Compression Girdle received a 4.2 out of 5 star rating on Amazon.com with 154 comments and reviews.
- Medical grade material with double layers, provides great compression and support.
- Designed with multiple layers of hook and eye closure at the side and crotch, providing greater adjustment capability and convenience.
- Easily accommodates different sizes as the belly slowly get back in pre-pregnancy shape.
- Slightly expensive
- Sizing runs small so need to it can be a little tricky to find the right fit.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this true story…