If you have been struggling to get a good night’s sleep because of a noisy roommate or are troubled by street noise or loud insects, earplugs can prove to be an effective way to reduce noise level and help you sleep comfortably.
However, when you plan to buy an earplug you might get overwhelmed by the choices and types available. It is no longer as easy as just checking the noise reduction rating and deciding on what to buy.
Don’t fret! Take a look at the best earplugs on the market to help you make a decision you won’t regret later.
Best Sleeping Earplugs – Buyer’s Guide
There are a number of different factors that you need to keep in mind before purchasing earplugs. Take a look at the most important features and match them against your requirements –
- Noise Reduction Ratings (NRR) are the scores approved by the American National Standards Institute and are a mandatory requisite for every earplug on the market. Measured in decibels, they help determine the effectiveness of the earplug by telling you the average sound reduction provided by it. The higher the NRR, the higher the level of protection against noise.
- Dimension – to find the right size for your ear canal. It should fit you correctly to provide maximum comfort and form an airtight seal to block out noise as much as possible. You should be able to wear it all night long, especially in your sleeping position, without popping out in the middle of the night.
- Composition – like foam, silicone or wax. While foam earplugs are more popular and effective, the wax and silicone are multi-purpose, hypo-allergic and can be used while swimming or on an airplane, too.
- Type of noise – whether snoring, power tools, music concert or just some TV noise in the next room.
- Durability – to ensure re-usability and retain shape and effectiveness over multiple uses.
Earplugs made out of foam and wax are most effective as they are comfortable and seal most of the noise away.
1. HEAROS Xtreme Protection, 14-Pair Foam
This is truly the best noise cancelling earplugs out there providing best performance, optimal noise reduction with comfort. HEAROS is one of the most trusted companies, manufacturing quality ear plugs for over 20 years in the USA. The Xtreme Protection earplugs are rated with the highest available NRR possible intended to block even the loudest sounds. They are not only great for sleeping, but also excellent for construction workers, concerts and the military to name a few. They are comfortable, easy to wear and fit all wearers perfectly.
- Material – HEAROS proprietary Polyurethane (PU) foam
- NRR – 33 decibels
- Price – $4.74 for a pack of 14 pair
- Made from closed cell-foam, latex free, they are comfortable, soft and inhibit dirt.
- Foam expands and fits widest range of canal sizes perfectly.
- Tapered design makes insertion and removal effortless.
- Comfortable to wear all night long with soft skin.
- Foam is hypo-allergenic to ensure safety for sensitive ears.
2. Flents Quiet Please Foam Ear Plugs
Flents Quite Please ear plugs might not have the highest noise reduction ratings, but they are super comfortable, fit well and are effective at reducing noise to a level where you can easily zone out.
These are great for use beyond sleeping and can be used for general purposes like loud car races or home renovation projects. Like any foam based ear plug, they expand and fit all ear canals and are easy and comfortable to wear.
With a noise reduction rating of 29, they are great if you want to sleep well yet want to be able to hear the alarm clock in the morning, thus reducing the noise but not completely blocking it.
- Material – Foam based
- NRR – 29 decibels
- Price – $12.95 for a pack of 50 pairs
- Comfortable to wear all night long
- Foam ensures it fits well without coming off in any sleep position
- Bonus clear case for daily use
- Easy to wear and remove
3. Mack’s Ear Care Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
Considered one of the most comfortable earplugs on the market, they block most noise and work great for side sleepers without popping out.
They provide reasonably high noise reduction levels and work great for sleeping as well as outside use like around power tools or music concerts.
- Material – Low-pressure foam provides best fit and comfort
- NRR – 32 decibels
- Price – $8.54 for a pack of 50 pairs
- Beige color makes it virtually invisible
- Tapered design ensures comfort and ease of use
- Low-pressure foam provides best fit
4. Howard Leight by Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs
These bright colored earplugs have been very well rated on Amazon.com as they provide amazing noise blocking and the self-adjusting foam offers a perfect fit for most ear canals. These are effective and quite comfortable to wear with their small size and special design. The bright color ensures simple compliance checks and will not be easily lost.
- Material – Foam
- NRR – 32 decibels
- Price – $18.14 for a pack of 200 pairs
- Good for loud noise
- Easy to insert and remove with the contoured T-shape
- Self-adjusting foam provides perfect fit for all ear canals
- Soil-resistant skin inhibits dirt-build up
5. Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs
These are considered to be America’s best selling mold-able silicone earplugs. Silicone earplugs are effective in blocking noise as they have a feature called the memory factor that helps it to fit the ear canal completely and comfortably. They are re-usable, dishwasher safe and easy to use.
- Material – moldable silicone
- NRR – 22 decibels
- Dimensions – 3.9 x 1 x 5.3 inches; 1.6 ounces
- Price – $3.76 for a pack of 6 pairs might sound a little expensive but they are re-usable and provide a good value for the money
- Easily molds into the shape of your ear
- Works great for blocking snoring noise as well as blocking water while swimming or regulating pressure while flying.
- Re-usable until they lose sticking or become dirty
- Comfortable to use
6. Moldex 6800 Pura-Fit Soft-Foam Earplugs
The Moldex earplugs are one of the highest rated noise reduction earplugs. Available in a vibrant green color, they block most noise and are effective, whether you have a loud snoring partner, a neighbor playing rock music, or high-pitched appliances at work. A little longer foam design allows it to fit virtually all ear canals and are easy to remove.
- Material – PVC-free foam with soft surface for maximum comfort
- NRR – 33 decibels
- Price – $26.01 for a pack of 200 pairs
- Made in the USA keeping in mind the highest standards
- Tapered design ensures easy insertion in all ear canals
- Bright green color for high visibility
- Soft foam which is smooth and comfortable for longer duration wear
7. Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs 12 Plugs
Made out of wax and cotton, these classic ear plugs are great at reducing noise and unwanted sounds. They work great beyond bedrooms, like in discos, airplanes, swimming pools or around electric tools. Wax formulations have been around for ages, work great even if you have sensitive ears and easily fit all canals. The wax, once inside the ear, heats up due to body’s temperature and seals it preventing noise, water and wind. They are quite comfortable but cannot be re-used. You need to read the instructions carefully before using them.
- Material – Soft wax compound, covered with cotton
- NRR – approx. 27 decibels
- Price – $6 for 12 plugs
- Comfortable without any pressure sensation in the ear
- Prevents not only noise but also wind and water, making them great to use outdoors as well.
- Does not block all noise but reduces it to a level that makes sleep comfortable
- Slightly expensive in comparison to its foam counterparts.
No earplug can completely block out all of the noise, especially if you are dealing with very loud noises or extreme snoring. However, these small devices make noise tolerable and ensure a good night’s sleep while protecting your ears. Get yourself a good pair of earplugs and cut back on a lot of agony and sleepless nights.THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.